Who can benefit from using Online proctoring technology? Everyone who develops remote education systems in educational institutions and companies, as well as HR-managers and employees of IT-departments.
Main themes of this article:
Structure and operation of the online proctoring platform and key stages of online exams
The modes of the online proctoring system
We will try not to go into details; otherwise, it’s going to be a long story. At the same time, we will try to give you the most complete picture of the online exam system software.
Structure and operation of the online proctoring system and key stages of online exams
Online proctoring extension works from a browser with no additional installations needed. The service is integrated into a testing system - LMS (learning management system). Examus’s online proctoring service is offered as a SaaS (Software as a Service), and the entire infrastructure is stored in cloud services. Students do not need to install anything on the computer. They just open the browser, go to the specified link, pass system and identity verification, and start taking the exam.
Important decision: shall students use a computer or a phone? Our experience shows that only the desktop version gives reliable results, so we always strongly recommend it to our customers. The mobile version gives the user too many opportunities to exploit the system. However, we understand that, in some cases, there is no chance to use a computer, e.g., when field workers are located in a remote plant or factory. We will describe all the features of the mobile version of the system in one of the following articles.
The proctoring system requests access to the camera and microphone and checks its functionality as well as the stability of the Internet connection, the presence of a second screen, and all attempts to simulate or imitate the screen. If the system can pass all the tests, the students have to pass the identification process, i.e., take and send a photo of themselves with an identity document (a driver’s license, a student ID card, or a credit card).
After that, the student can start the examination. At the same time, the online proctoring system acquires information from 3 different sources:
After completing the exam, the online proctoring system will gather and combine information from all the sources into a single combined record.
During the exam, the online exam proctoring software analyzes students' actions. The system is flexible, so the rules can be adjusted for each exam. In some cases, student can use a calculator while, in others, one needs a pen and paper.
During the examination, the system automatically detects the following types of violations:
· Changing the direction of the gaze, i.e., when the user is looking elsewhere;
· Lack of the face in the frame, i.e., if the user is not in the field of view of the camera or the face is not fully visible;
· The presence of other faces in the frame (it is also recommended to remove any portraits from the wall because they can be automatically recognized as violators of the examination rules);
· Substitution of the student, i.e., if the person in the frame is not the same person that was intended to participate in the examination;
· Any human voices in the frame, even if it is the voice of the student (e.g., the student announces questions to another person in the room);
· Change of the windows and tabs on the desktop, i.e., if the user decided to switch from the test window to a search engine or open a third-party application.